Naturopathic Medicine is based on this very principle recognizing that the body and nature have an innate wisdom in healing. It blends traditional therapies from many cultures with current scientific research.
There are several principles that form the foundation of naturopathic medicine:
- Do no harm.
- Address the underlying root cause of illness.
- Support the body’s self – healing abilities.
- Treat the person as a whole by addressing the physical, mental, emotional, social and environmental aspects of the patient.
- Focus on prevention by promoting a healthy lifestyle, and educating and empowering a person to take responsibility for their health.
Naturopathic doctors are trained as general health care practitioners who practice complementary medicine. To achieve a truly integrative form of medicine, it can be used in conjunction with care provided by other types of health care practitioners.
Naturopathic doctors must be trained at an accredited naturopathic college by receiving 4,500 hours of classroom training in basic medical science courses, clinical sciences and naturopathic therapies, as well as 1,500 hours of supervised clinical experience. They are licensed by the Board of Directors of Drugless Therapy – Naturopathy in the province of Ontario.
The different modalities that can be used in a one’s individualized treatment plan include:
- Clinical Nutrition and Dietary Counseling
- Botanical Medicine
- Acupuncture and Traditional Asian Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Hydrotherapy
- Lifestyle Counseling
Other types of treatments include drainage, detoxification, mind-body counseling, and stress management. Some of the conditions that can benefit from naturopathic medicine include, but are not limited to the following:
- Asthma and Allergies
- Skin Conditions
- Gastrointestinal Issues (Including Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Crohn’s Disease)
- Cardiovascular Conditions (including hypertension and high cholesterol)
- Women’s Health Issues (Including menopause, fertility, pre-natal health, and PMS)
- Weight Loss
- Anxiety, Depression, and Stress Management
- Cold and Flu
- Fatigue and Low Energy
Our Naturopathic Doctor:
Contact Us Today To Book Your Appointment!